Sleep all...sleep all day!!!

Musings of a Somnambulist Nocturnal

Thursday, June 02, 2005

 

Broken Flask of Caustic Soda

I was reading the Singapore city guide on The Economist's online edition when I first read about Chen Jiahao's case with his caustic soda blog. I attempted to check the post, but I was too unfortunate to find out that he shut the entire blog down. I did some research and got some second hand information from various sources, one of which is Channel News Asia's. But, I don't think this report unearthens all the facts so I had to conscientiously dig for more. up:gucci bags

Luckily, the Sassy Lawyer's entry on the blog case popped up amongst google search results. I was surprised that this story was interesting subject among peers in the blogosphere around first week of May (so ayun, mejo huli na naman ako sa balita). Anyhow, you may read her entry; scroll down to the section where she captured (in verbatim) Chen Jiahao's email addressed to Valerie Tan for her biased report.

This case unmistakably italicizes two important phrases: freedom of expression and ethics in journalism.

Firstly, I think of freedom of expression, maybe because, Singaporean government agencies, known for its ways to file defamation lawsuits against the media could be "notoriously" maneuvering to curtail the freedom of people in the blogosphere. Secondly, I suppose Mr. Chen has the right to claim that Channel News Asia was not true to their journalist's creed for all the one-sided press releases.

Regarding my stand, I'm undecided. Too ill-fated to not possess some first hand essentials. (Takot ma-shut down ang blog. haha!)

Comments:
ah basta...minsan minsan dapat may usaping pang intelektwal. Para saan pa ('ika nga ni Anj) ang mga boses na "8 octaves higher" kapag nakikipagtalo? haha!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

January 2005   February 2005   March 2005   April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   August 2006   September 2007  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]