Sleep all...sleep all day!!!

Musings of a Somnambulist Nocturnal

Monday, October 24, 2005

 

Nature-tripping















Must-see waterform in QC

I never imagined that about a 15 minute drive from our house would lead us to this breathtaking natural spectacle. I’ve lived in the suburbs of QC (Planet Nova to be particular) for the last 20 years, but it was only this afternoon that I ardently set off to experience the splendor myself. up:gucci handbags

Boys and bi’s, girls and gays…we’re talking here of the reputed La Mesa Dam Ecopark right in the navel of Quezon City. I had long wanted to pay a visit after I heard fine testimonials from my parents and childhood friends who have frequented the place ever since. I recall that my mother, in particular, had wanted the whole family to have a Sunday picnic at the lagoon grove. But for some unfounded excuses, this plan never pushed through. Besides, when I was a kid, the thought of going to La Mesa never stirred me up; thus the reason why we never went there. It was only this afternoon that I realized how much time I had foregone because of these silly alibis. Oh well, at least, I’m feeling really blessed that I found this place even before I set foot at some far-off locale. Menos gastos!

***

I was calling up high school friends past lunchtime to ask what their plans were for the rest of the day. Ken, being the most spontaneously on-the-go member of my high school circle, was the first one I called. It was his brother who answered the phone and when I learned that at about half an hour past lunchtime he was still off to dreamland, I told his brother to wake him up. I assumed he couldn’t fail me at that critical instance when I needed to get these feelings of boredom out of my system. It was a good thing that I convinced him to go along with me. Next goal was to convince Tintois, who is a fêted Senorita Laquachera herself. Unfortunately, she couldn’t make it because her family would head off to Galeria to watch a movie. I didn’t make an effort to contact Rhea and Leng, because they couldn’t make it for sure. =) Anyway, Ken and I resolved to go there na lang even without the company of our so-called friends.

We met at Starbucks at around 3pm (as Ken was late for about an hour!) We had to buy food and drinks just in case hunger strikes. Then we set out for La Mesa.

***

The way to the Ecopark was easy. Just follow the map

And if one doesn’t have a ride going there, one can simply take a 5minute-trike ride from the Winston gate of East Fairview Subdivision. Fare costs a reasonable PhP25.

The stairs lead us to the dam lake...

Anyway, we reached the place at around 3:40 and paid the entrance fee (that’s 40 pesos for adults). We had planned to go for a dip in the pool, but (Darn it!!!) gates to the swimming area close at 3:45. =( So we just decided to take a stroll around the picnic grove and into the orchidarium.

The lagoon and picnic grove

Into the Orchidarium

One of the very few lotus blooms

Surrounded by hundred year-old trees

There weren’t a lot of activities being offered besides swimming and picnicking. However, taking a protracted meander around the eco-park was enough to soothe our techno-stressed minds and bodies. Furthermore, no one in the city sees such calming scenery on a daily basis.

There were hundreds of different species of plants in the area. For sure there were a hundreds of animals out on the wild as well. (Sorry to say, we were too busy taking photos for our very own gratification. =))

My favorite spot would certainly be the lake. I would only see it on TVC’s and music videos. I could not even believe that 15 minutes away from our house I’d see a waterform as grand as this one. With the cool winds’ giving us a tender embrace and the sun’s flushing warm hues of red and yellow into our flawed skin, what more could I ask for?

Lake Placid

An hour wouldn’t be enough to read about the beginnings of this environmental project or even examine the elements of its wildlife. But I had a wonderful time and I promise to pack my swim gear because we’re going back soon!

For those who live quite close to Fairview or QC, I suggest that you see this place, too. Nature-tripping doesn’t have to be luxurious, so to speak. Furthermore, spending a day would be an enlightening one. It doesn’t take a whiz to decipher the obvious message – that we need to start thinking long term; that we must examine our ways and recreate it (if need be) for our beloved Mother Nature’s and the future generation’s sake.

And with that, I say farewell, and see you in Santiago, Chile!!!


Comments:
i used to livenear Fairview... actually taga Novaliches ako noon.
 
Don't forget to visit the new Balara Filtration Plant. I've heard they renovated the site.

Used to go there for Environmental Engineering classes and org parties (yeah right) and Mang Jimmy's of course.
 
tagal ko na di nakapunta dun sa Balara nga. Pero ako din, Mang Jimmy's talaga ang dinadayo namin dun eh =)
 
marlon...

a quick FYI, here's my new url:
www.jovefrancisco.com

more power!
 
hey jove, don't worry..will link to your new site. =)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

January 2005   February 2005   March 2005   April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   August 2006   September 2007  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]